13 October 2016

Retiring 4-star reflects on an Army career

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/4-star-reflects-on-a-lifetime-of-service
By: Gen. Dennis L. Via, October 9, 2016 
Editor's note: The following is an opinion piece. The writer is not employed by Military Times and the views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Military Times or its editorial staff.
Reflecting back over the course of more than three decades of wearing the uniform of a United States soldier, I remain humbled and in awe of the outstanding soldiers and civilians who comprise our force, thankful for the unique experiences and tremendous opportunities the Army afforded me, and deeply appreciative of a wonderful and loving family who supported and sustained me through it all.
Forefront in my mind is the state of the Army profession. Since receiving my ROTC commission from Virginia State University as a second lieutenant in May 1980, the Army has faced unprecedented challenges and uncertainty around the globe. I am always amazed, but never surprised, at the way our soldiers rise to every challenge and remain adaptable and agile in an ever-changing, dangerous and highly complex world.

Today’s Army is the most lethal, best-trained, best-led, best-equipped, and most powerful fighting force the world has ever known. Unwavering for more than 241 years at its core, is the United States soldier. Our soldiers are experts and professionals. Warriors. Guardians of freedom. Selfless servants for the nation. Putting on the uniform, they lay aside personal ambitions, political inclinations and past experiences, focusing instead on the mission and their team. They are resolute in their loyalty, steadfast to the cause of freedom, and refuse to be shaken in the face of adversity, uncertainty and fear – willing to give their very lives, if necessary, in defense of our nation.

The Army is strong; however, to remain strong, our nation must continue to invest in modernization and provide long-term, predictable funding to maintain dominance on the current and future battlefields, and be able to respond to unforeseen contingencies here in the homeland and around the world. Strides in Army modernization, acquisition, logistics and operations have improved significantly in our profession, especially over the past 15 years of combat operations; however, to remain ready for future missions and contingencies will require continued investment in the soldier, and in his or her equipment. 

Chief of Staff of the Army Gen. Mark Milley, outgoing Army Materiel Command leader Gen. Dennis Via and incoming AMC boss Gen. Gustave Perna salute the colors during AMC's change-of-command ceremony Sept. 30 at Redstone Arsenal, Ala.Photo Credit: Sgt. Eben Boothby/Army
The driving force and motivation of my career has always been people. From my start as a ROTC cadet learning basic leadership skills to having led a multibillion-dollar global logistics organization, I have learned – and know firsthand – that the Army’s most valuable asset is, and always will be, our soldiers and their families. Serving our nation with some of the finest men and women from across America has been a remarkable privilege. I have had the honor of serving under and next to, and leading, extraordinary Americans from all walks of life who dedicated their very lives to defending the freedoms we hold dear while displaying our Army values of loyalty, duty, integrity, and selfless service in their truest forms. I am honored to have known and served in the ranks of these great patriots. 

The Army provided an open door for me to see the world, along with opportunities and experiences that I never imagined possible. I served in units across the U.S. and abroad, and was afforded the opportunity to command from first lieutenant to general, culminating with command of an extraordinary organization that ensures our Army remains the best-equipped fighting force in the world. 

As the commanding general of Army Materiel Command, I was continually impressed by the daily worldwide accomplishments of this phenomenal organization and its people. AMC’s dedicated global workforce – 64,000 strong – continues to provide readiness to the joint war-fighter in a complex, dangerous and ever-changing world. Regardless of the mission, task or location, AMC consistently provided our soldiers and units with the advanced equipment and materiel solutions required to successfully accomplish their mission. 

Throughout my career, I’ve been blessed to achieve and celebrate numerous accomplishments, the greatest of these being my family. My wonderful and supportive wife, Linda, has walked side-by-side with me every step of the way – from affixing my second lieutenant epaulettes at my commissioning to pinning my fourth star – and two incredible sons who are growing into exceptional young men. My family, including my extended Army family, is the foundation that has sustained me through every challenge, obstacle, decision, disappointment, and difficulty that I faced, and served as the anchor that held and guided me through the storms of Army life. 

I was also fortunate to serve with great Army leaders who mentored, coached and inspired me through their personal and professional example. It was upon their shoulders that I was able to stand and succeed far beyond what I ever thought possible. 

As I prepare to depart our Army ranks and transition to this next stage in life, I’m thankful for the thousands of soldiers whom I’ve been privileged to lead, the units and organizations that I’ve been honored to serve with, and for a wonderful family who have supported me unconditionally. Most of all, I’m thankful to the United States Army for providing me the opportunity of a lifetime, for entrusting me to lead America’s most precious resource – its sons and daughters, and for the honor and the privilege to serve. 

Army Strong! 

Gen. Dennis L. Via stepped down as head of Army Materiel Command on Sept. 30.

No comments: